Monday, September 27, 2010

The Mom-ment

I'd like to coin a new word. It's a play on the word moment, combined with Mom. The meaning is "a moment of experience, particularly a small victory or sign of hope, made possible by having or being a Mom." It's pronounced MAH-ment.

Here is the example that made me think of it.

Laura recently took her driver's permit test and did extremely well even though she did not really study. So I teased her that she must have been listening during all the impromptu driving lectures I have been giving her whenever we are in the car together - I have been pointing out all kinds of issues about traffic, decision-making, technical issues about turns and lanes, etc.

To my surprise and pleasure, she said, "Mom, I really have been listening!!" and proceeded to give me a very accurate explanation of how she answered a question about hydroplaning correctly - based on a lesson I gave her last summer as we drove through sheets of rain in the mountains in Kentucky.

It was a Mom-ment.

No comments: